2019 Summer Intern Opportunities
Global Atlantic RE
Role (1): Actuarial, Finance & Operations
GA Re is the Bermuda-based entity of Global Atlantic Financial Group (GAFG). Through its subsidiaries GAFG offers a broad range of retirement, life and reinsurance products designed to help their customers address financial challenges, with confidence. GA Re is a fast paced, collaberative entrepreneurial culture, committed to investing in its people because it believes they are critical to the long-term success of its business.
Applicants should be majoring in Actuarial Science, however consideration will be given to business-related fields (e.g. accounting, finance, insurance, economics, etc.). The successful applicant will work with the Actuarial, Operations and Finance teams and will have opportunities to gain hands-on experience with production processes and entry-level finance functions. Depending on the intern's specific skill set, opportunities may also exist to conduct a research project/present recommendations based on findings, and if tech-savy, to build a technical tool for potential ongoing use within the organization.
Click HERE for more information on Global Atlantic Re Ltd.
Hannover Life RE
Role (1): Finance and Actuarial
This will be a role suited for a self-motivated student who would like to get a glimpse into the growing sector that is life and health insurance in Bermuda. You will work within a small team of seasoned professionals on varied projects related to actuarial and accounting and see first-hand how our sector operates.
Hannover Life Re Bermuda is the Bermuda based life and health subsidiary of the third largest reinsurance group in the world, Hannover Re. Established in 2007 we work closely with our parent and sister companies to provide financial solutions for clients worldwide. We also assist clients with both traditional and longevity solutions. Although based in Bermuda, we operate on a global basis, providing solutions to clients in Africa, America, Asia, Australia and Europe.
Applicants should be majoring in a business-related field (e.g. accounting, finance, actuarial, economics etc.). The successful applicant will work with our finance and corporate actuarial teams on a variety of topics.
Legal & General RE
Role (1): Actuarial and Accounting
Legal & General Reinsurance Company Limited (L&G Re) is the global reinsurance hub of the Legal & General Group. We specialise in the reinsurance of annuity, longevity and mortality risks by providing bespoke solutions to meet the risk and capital management needs of our clients.
L&G Re is based in Bermuda and engages with clients located in strategic territories across the globe. We are licensed by the Bermuda Monetary Authority and have credit ratings of A+ from both Standard & Poor's and Fitch. We have a strong balance sheet with 6.2 billion pounds ($8.3 billion) of assets under management at 31 December 2017.
The successful applicant must:
- Be actively pursuing a degree in math, acturial science, accounting or other financial related field
- Be competent in Excel
Click HERE to learn more about Legal and General Re
Monument RE Group
Monument Re is a rapidly-growing, Bermuda-based, international reinsurance Group and Class E reinsurer. We have a team of 15 people based here in Bermuda, and further operations in the UK, Ireland, Belgium and Luxembourg.
We structure a range of capital and risk solutions including, reinsurance, portfolio transfer or acquisition to help European life insurers diversify risks and improve their capital and operational efficiency.
Monument Re is seeking a highly motivated individual with ambition to work in the life insurance/reinsurance sector, to join us in Bermuda as a summer intern. The successful applicant will gain valuable skills, experience and contacts through contributing to a number of projects within our investments, finance, actuarial or risk management teams.
Applicants should enjoy team-work and solving challenging problems, and be studying for a mathematical or business-related university degree (e.g. accounting, finance, economics, mathematics, actuarial, computer science).
Click HERE to learn more about monument Re.
Role (1): Actuarial / Accounting / Investments
Somerset Re Ltd. is a life and annuity reinsurance company with a Class E long-term license.
Headquartered in Bermuda with a dedicated staff and experienced actuaries, accountants, and investment professionals, the company is focused on providing dynamic reinsurance solutions to the US life insurance industry.
Somerset Re is looking for an ambitious, self-motivated university-level student to join this growing company for the summer of 2018.
Tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with reconciliation of financial data
- Assisting with the maintenance of actuarial projection models
- Supporting the ongoing performance evaluation of existing reinsurance contracts
- Supporting overall asset management activities and analysis
Upon completing the internship the student will have gained introductory experience in:
- Reporting financial results of insurance companies
- Understanding the international accounting standards for insurance companies
- Building actuarial projections for US life insurance and annuity products
- Evaluating the performance of existing reinsurance contracts
- Understanding the role of investments and asset management within an insurance company
- Be a math, computer science, actuarial science, finance or accounting major
- Interested in pursuing actuarial, accounting or CFA designations
- Experience in Excel, Outlook, Word
- Powerpoint a plus
Click HERE to learn more about Somerset Re Ltd
Sun Life Financial International
The Sun Life Financial family of companies is a leading financial services organization with a 150-year history of financial strength and innovation. Sun Life Financial International, headquartered in Hamilton since 1996, develops leading Life Insurance solutions for high-net-worth families around the globe.
Sun Life Financial International is looking for two (2) high-performing Bermudians to join our paid internship program in the summer of 2019 in operational and actuarial roles.
Operations role: Summer interns will be able to grasp a broad understanding of the SLF International business and be exposed to meaningful and challenging work. The 10 week summer internship provides participants the opportunity to develop their skills and gain exposure and insights into the SLF International business. The intern will work in one department for the 10 week duration but will be able to learn about other departments through networking.
- Job shadow each department under Life Operations to gain a broad understanding of the function of the operations team.
- Learn and execute processes within New Business, Administration and In-force team. Types of processes will include but not limited to CRR database input, beneficiary change, applying of premium payments, new case set up in TPP, policy set up, statement request and illustration request.
- Learning at a high level about each of the departments within the Bermuda office.
Actuarial role: The Sun Life Financial International Actuarial Internship Program is designed for aspiring professionals and supports the continuing development of our actuarial community by promoting an environment conducive to a student's successful passing of actuarial exams. The intership is available to qualified students interested in pursuing a career as an actuary and who have a plan to sit for actuarial exams through the SOA, CIA, IFoA. or equivalent organization.
- Practical application of learned insurance concepts.
- Gain an understanding of product features and contracts.
- Gain an understanding of the Life Insurance business in general, while learning to leverage technology based tools to perform analysis and solve problems.
- Prepare and present an overview of your summer experience to your managers and mentor.
Click HERE to learn more about Sun Life Financial International
Wilton RE Bermuda
Role (1): Actuarial
Wilton Re Bermuda, a Class E licensed Bermuda reinsurer, is part of the Wilton group of companies, which specializes in the acquisition of inforce blocks of life and annuities. The company is an A-rated reinsurer committed to creating solutions that enhance value for its clients, policyholders and shareholders.
The successful applicant must be:
- a university student majoring in mathematics or actuarial science
- interested in pursuing actuarial exams
- competent in Excel, Outlook and Word (Powerpoint a plus)
Click HERE to learn more about Wilton Re Bermuda.